The United Kingdom is a country that has welcomed international students from all over the world for many centuries. Each year, nearly 250,000 international students come to the UK to start their full-time undergraduate or postgraduate studies. International students are attracted to the UK for many different reasons and below is an overview of some of the key reasons why international students choose the UK as their favourite study destination.
Why study in the United Kingdom?
- The UK is home to one of the world’s most well respected and highly regarded education systems and many of the world’s top universities.
- High academic standards are maintained and regulated through continuous assessment and monitoring of research and teaching quality.
- Students are enjoying strong support and advice services throughout their studies.
- UK universities have been associated with the second highest number of Nobel Prize winners in the world.
UK Degrees Boost Your Career Prospects
- Qualifications from UK universities are recognised and highly valued by employers around the world.
- Teaching and learning styles used in the UK encourage independent thought and creativity in students, qualities which are highly valued by employers.
- Studying in the UK will improve your English, a world business language, which is a crucial skill in many jobs.
Choice and Value for Money
- The UK has over 160 higher education institutions, including 115 universities, offering a huge range of courses across the Arts, Sciences, Engineering and Business.
- Universities range from respected academic institutions with hundreds of years of teaching experience to new, modern and cutting edge institutions.
- Choose to study at a city centre university or a campus university set in the countryside.
- Most courses at UK universities are shorter than similar courses offered in other countries such as the USA and Australia. Undergraduate courses usually last 3 or 4 years and Masters generally only last 1 year. Subsequently, your living expenses will be a lot lower which, combined with the UK’s high academic standards, provides excellent value for money.
- International students that study on full-time courses that last for more than 6 months are entitled to free health care during their studies in the UK.
Life in the UK
The Student Experience
- Join a community of nearly half a million international students.
- Student Unions are a unique feature of UK education. Run by students for students, the unions offer subsidised bars, cafes, restaurants, entertainment and sports facilities.
- As an international student you will enjoy student discounts in shops, bars, restaurants and public transport all over the UK.
- Try something new and make friends by joining one of the hundreds of student clubs and societies available at UK universities.
- Student support services offer help and advice on issues such as housing, fees and settling into life in the UK.
- Experience the vibrant and diverse culture of the UK, with its different traditions, customs and languages.
- Visit one of the many world-renowned tourist attractions and cutting edge culture. Enjoy Europe’s largest city, London; enjoy historic towns such as York or Durham; areas of outstanding natural beauty include places like the Lake District and Scotland or visit one of the many museums, historic houses, castles and cathedrals.
- Travel easily around Europe using one of the many low cost airlines. Most of Europe can be reached in no more than two-hours and flight tickets are very cheap.
- Depending on the type of course you take, international students can work for up to 20 hours per week during term-time, and full time during university holidays.
- Take advantage of the excellent university careers service, which offer free advice and guidance to international students helping you prepare for your career after graduation.
- Bright innovative students may also be allowed to remain in the UK if they satisfy the requirements of the Tier 2 Skilled Worker or Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur programmes.