The University of Sheffield
The University of Sheffield is widely recognized as a leading institution in the UK and across the globe.
The University distinguishes itself for its research excellence across a range of disciplines –placing the university in the top 10 per cent of all UK universities–, its commitment to being genuinely international, and its industry partnerships.
- Sheffield, England
Number of students
- 7,000 Students from 150 countries
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health
- The Medical School
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Social Science
- Management School
- Sheffield Methods Institute
- Howard Florey, Baron Florey of Adelaide and Marston – Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- Sir Hans Krebs – Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- Sir Richard Roberts – Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
Member of the Russell Group
Key strengths in teaching and research
- Biological and Life Sciences
- Computer Science and Information Systems
- Town and Regional Planning
99% of the research is internationally recognised or better (Research Excellence Framework, 2014)
QS World University Rankings, 2022
THE World University Rankings, 2020
THE Student Experience Survey, 2017
Known as “The Steel City” for its industry back in the 1900’s, Sheffield is located in the north of England, and considered one of UK’s safest and most low-cost cities.
Sheffield is a green and innovative city with an outstanding spirit of inclusion. Sheffield has everything to offer to students from its city-centre campus, vibrant nightlife and great musical scene to its amazing outdoors in the Peak District National Park. The University is ranked third best nationally for offering the best student experience (Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2017) and its Students’ Union has been voted number one in the UK for over 11 years running.
Department of Control and Systems Engineering
- The University of Sheffield has the only department in the UK, and one of the best in the world, dedicated to Control and Systems Engineering. This department offers a flagship MSc Advanced Control and Systems Engineering as well as programmes in Robotics and Advanced Manufacturing. Manufacturing is, in fact, a great speciality for the University of Sheffield thanks to their Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC) with Boeing and Rolls Royce, one of the world’s premier centre for academia-industry research in Advanced Manufacturing. The AMRC focuses on 5 areas: Machining; Composites; Assembly; Additive Manufacturing & Casting. All the AMRC’s equipment is full-scale industrial equipment certificated to industry standards. It has become the UK government’s model for academia-industry collaboration and, although it was only started in 2001, it now has an annual research income of around US $70m per year. It supplies technological breakthroughs which make it a focus for the world’s leading companies in Advanced Manufacturing.
- This is one of the UK’s largest energy research institutes. Based at the University of Sheffield, having over 120 academics and more than 250 PhD students undertaking energy research and innovation. The Institute goes beyond traditional university research boundaries to deliver industry and policy relevant innovation. Energy 5050 works with companies and government to de-risk investment in energy technologies to deliver cheaper, secure and clean energy.
Did you know?
- According to the REF 2014, the University of Sheffield is the UK number one for medical research and top five for biological research, having whole departments dedicated to Animal and Plant Sciences, Molecular Biology and Biotechnology and Biomedical Science with a range of Master’s courses and research specialities within each of these departments – from Plant and Microbial Biology to Regenerative Medicine.
- The University of Sheffield School of Architecture is within the top 4 Architecture Schools in the UK (4th in The Guardian University League Tables 2018). Amongst their offered specialisms: Sustainable Architecture, Digital Architecture and Urban and Architectural Design.
- The University is 4th in the Uk for its Facilities according to the THE Student Experience Survey, 2017.
- Howard Florey, Baron Florey of Adelaide and Marston was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, for the discovery of penicillin and its curative effect in various infectious diseases sharing the prize with Sir Ernst Boris Chain and Sir Alexander Fleming.
- Sir Hans Krebs won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, for his discovery of the citric acid cycle, since then named the Krebs Cycle.
- Sir Richard Roberts, shared the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine with Phillip Sharp for the discovery of “split genes”.
- The University holds industry partnerships with the AMRC with Boeing and Rolls-Royce, the Windpower Centre with Siemens or the Electric Vehicle Centre with Nissan.
- 17th in the UK for employability, QS Graduate Employability Rankings, 2017
La ayuda de Inova Education inicia desde que metes tu solicitud. Pero creo que lo mejor de todo, es que continua cuando tu ya estas en SheffieldFernandaEstudió Politics (PhD) en La Universidad de Sheffield
Inova Education staff were always helping us throughout the whole process. From the application to looking for housing, they were like having a friend on the other side of the line (or the ocean)CarlosStudied Molecular Biology (PhD), The University of Sheffield
I have been more than pleased with all of their constant effort to help me with immigration and offering their everlasting patience with all of the process.AmarisStudied Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine (MSc), The University of Sheffield
Gracias a Inova Education pude cumplir mi sueño de estudiar en Inglaterra, es la mejor empresa que me pude haber encontrado en mi proceso de estudiaren otro país.Jessica Paulina CalderónStudied Logistics & Supply Chain Management, The University of Sheffield
Inova Education made my process of applying to study abroad very smooth and clear, without their help, I probably wouldn't be here, forever grateful for their help and I would recommend their kind service to anyone with the aspiration to study abroad.Francisco VidalStudied a Master in Business Administration, The University of Sheffield
He tomado una de las mejores decisiones de mi vida al venir a la Universidad de Sheffield. Esto se ha concretado gracias no sólo al ímpetu por venir, sino a las acciones de muchas personas y organizaciones que me han ayudado a cumplir este sueño. Una de ellas fue el equipo de Inova Education, quienes desde el principio me asesoraron para tener las herramientas necesarias para tan largo e intenso proceso. La capacidad de personas como Liliana me fue de gran utilidad en momentos clave. Me han apoyado desde la selección de universidades, hasta los procesos de convocatorias para becas . Esto ha sido un gran apoyo para lograrlo.
Muchas gracias InovaSergio Gomez TorresStudied Sustainable Architecture Studies, The University of Sheffield
Scholarships and Funding
The University of Sheffield has various funding and scholarship arrangements in place for international students. Scholarships may be offered by the university itself, some by the British Government, whilst others are country-specific scholarships or study loans, part of an agreement with funding bodies across Latin America. Below is an overview of opportunities available to Latin American students interested in studying at The University of Sheffield.
For further information please do some research directly with these funding bodies, or contact the Inova Education team and we can assist you identifying opportunities available in your country. Note that in most cases you cannot apply for scholarships or study loans until after you have secured a university offer.