The University of Sheffield
A member of the Russell Group of leading research university, and associated with 6 Nobel Prizes, The University of Sheffield is widely recognized as a leading institution in the UK and across the globe.
The university distinguishes itself for its research excellence across a range of disciplines – placing the university in the top 10 per cent of all UK universities. In 2022 it was ranked in the Top 50 of most international universities in the world.*
*THE World University Rankings 2023
- Sheffield, England
Number of students
- 7,000 international students from 150 countries
- Faculty of Arts and Humanities
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health
- The Medical School
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Management School
- Sheffield Methods Institute
- Howard Florey (Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine)
- Sir Hans Krebs (Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine)
- Sir Richard Roberts (Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine)
- Lee Child (Author)
- Amy Johnson (First women to fly solo from London to Australia)
Member of the Russell Group
Key strengths in teaching and research
- Biological and Life Sciences
- Computer Science and Information Systems
- Town and Regional Planning
92 per cent of Sheffield’s research is rated world-leading or internationally excellent (Research Excellence Framework 2021).
QS World University Rankings, 2023
THE World University Rankings, 2023
THE World University Rankings 2023
Sheffield is a vibrant and innovative city with an outstanding spirit of inclusion that has welcomed international students for many decennia.
Located in the heart of the UK, it is ideally located to explore the rest of the UK. Sheffield is greenest city in the UK with over 250 parks, woodlands and communal gardens and the Peak District National Park is only a short busride away from the city centre allowing students to engage in all sorts of outdoor pursuits.
Sheffield has everything to offer to students with a rich cultural heritage and thriving contemporary arts and music scene. The university’s campus is located in the city-centre given easy access to all city amenities with all student accommodation located a short walking distance on, or near, the campus.
The University can regularly be found in the top 10 for best student experience and its Students’ Union has been voted number one in the UK for many years running. In 2022 it again scooped the ‘Best student’s Union in the UK‘ award.
The Students’ Union hosts state-of-the-art sports facilities covering everything from American football to climbing, as well as more than 330 different societies and clubs and a large student volunteering programme.
Department of Control and Systems Engineering
- The University of Sheffield has the only department in the UK, and one of the best in the world, dedicated to automation and systems engineering.
- The department offers a flagship MSc Advanced Control and Systems Engineering programme as well as programmes in Robotics, Advanced Manufacturing, Autonomous and Intelligent Systems, Control and Systems Engineering and Advanced Manufacturing Technologies.
- Its involvement in the Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC) with Boeing and Rolls Royce, created one of the world’s premier centres for academia-industry research in Advanced Manufacturing. The AMRC focuses on 5 areas: Machining; Composites; Assembly; Additive Manufacturing & Casting. Students works with full-scale industrial equipment certificated to industry standards.
- This is one of the UK’s largest energy research institutes. Based at the University of Sheffield, having over 300 academics and researchers and hundreds of PhD students the institute undertakes transformational research, innovation and collaboration to address the world’ energy challenges. The Institute goes beyond traditional university research boundaries to deliver industry and policy relevant innovation. Energy 5050 works with companies and government to de-risk investment in energy technologies to deliver cheaper, secure and clean energy.
Did you know?
- 92 per cent of Sheffield’s research is rated world-leading or internationally excellent (Research Excellence Framework 2021).
- Howard Florey was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, for the discovery of penicillin and its curative effect in various infectious diseases. He shared the prize with Sir Ernst Boris Chain and Sir Alexander Fleming.
- Sir Hans Krebs won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, for his discovery of the citric acid cycle, since then named the Krebs Cycle.
- Sir Richard Roberts, shared the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine with Phillip Sharp for the discovery of “split genes”.
- The UK’s biggest research streaming platform has been launched by the University of Sheffield enabling anyone, anywhere to discover and explore its pioneering research. The platform can be accessed here.
- The 2022 QS High Flyer’s Report ranked Sheffield 8th in the UK as most targeted university by top employers in 2021-22
- Known as “The Steel City” for its industry back in the 1900’s, Sheffield once was the steel-making capital of the world, supplying 50% of Europe’s steel output. Nowadays that history is still reflected in the university’s strong links in material science and engineering and important industry research partnerships. Established in 2001 as part of a collaboration with Boeing, the University’s Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC) now has over 120 partners, including Rolls Royce, Airbus, BAE Systems, Siemens, ABB, Accenture, Deloitte and McLaren, and is seen as a model for collaborative research between universities and industry. As a result of the AMRC’s success Boeing built its only factory outside the United States in Sheffield.
La ayuda de Inova Education inicia desde que metes tu solicitud. Pero creo que lo mejor de todo, es que continua cuando tu ya estas en SheffieldFernandaEstudió Politics (PhD) en La Universidad de Sheffield
Inova Education staff were always helping us throughout the whole process. From the application to looking for housing, they were like having a friend on the other side of the line (or the ocean)CarlosStudied Molecular Biology (PhD), The University of Sheffield
I have been more than pleased with all of their constant effort to help me with immigration and offering their everlasting patience with all of the process.AmarisStudied Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine (MSc), The University of Sheffield
Gracias a Inova Education pude cumplir mi sueño de estudiar en Inglaterra, es la mejor empresa que me pude haber encontrado en mi proceso de estudiaren otro país.Jessica Paulina CalderónStudied Logistics & Supply Chain Management, The University of Sheffield
Inova Education made my process of applying to study abroad very smooth and clear, without their help, I probably wouldn't be here, forever grateful for their help and I would recommend their kind service to anyone with the aspiration to study abroad.Francisco VidalStudied a Master in Business Administration, The University of Sheffield
He tomado una de las mejores decisiones de mi vida al venir a la Universidad de Sheffield. Esto se ha concretado gracias no sólo al ímpetu por venir, sino a las acciones de muchas personas y organizaciones que me han ayudado a cumplir este sueño. Una de ellas fue el equipo de Inova Education, quienes desde el principio me asesoraron para tener las herramientas necesarias para tan largo e intenso proceso. La capacidad de personas como Liliana me fue de gran utilidad en momentos clave. Me han apoyado desde la selección de universidades, hasta los procesos de convocatorias para becas . Esto ha sido un gran apoyo para lograrlo.
Muchas gracias InovaSergio Gomez TorresStudied Sustainable Architecture Studies, The University of Sheffield
Scholarships and Funding
The University of Sheffield has various funding and scholarship arrangements in place for international students. Scholarships may be offered by the university itself, some by the British Government, whilst others are country-specific scholarships or study loans, part of an agreement with funding bodies across Latin America. Below is an overview of opportunities available to Latin American students interested in studying at The University of Sheffield.
For further information please do some research directly with these funding bodies, or contact the Inova Education team and we can assist you identifying opportunities available in your country. Note that in most cases you cannot apply for scholarships or study loans until after you have secured a university offer.