Frequently asked questions

Here we’ll answer a few questions often asked by students, but if you’re still unsure, please get in touch. Our team will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

I would like to apply for a study place and request your help. What do I do next?

If you would like to apply for a study place or would like our help to identify an appropriate course for your circumstances please contact us.

We would like to emphasise:

  • There is no application deadline for foundation, pre-masters, graduate diploma and postgraduate courses. You can apply for a study place as long as there are places available although students need to allow sufficient time for their applications and study visas to be processed.
  • The exception to this are undergraduate Bachelors courses as the application process for undergraduate study is a little different from postgraduate study. Students applying for undergraduate courses often have to apply through a central UK admissions process called UCAS. UCAS operates a strict application deadline which usually closes a couple of months before the start of the course. Please contact us should you wish to apply for an undergraduate course as Inova Education is an official UCAS Centre.
  • You can apply for a study place at a UK university even if you are still awaiting your final examination results or still have to take an English language exam as universities can make conditional offers. A conditional offer allows you to secure a study place whilst allowing you time to work towards meeting certain conditions attached to the offer, such as taking an official English language exam or achieving a certain CGPA in your final exams. It is quite common for international students to secure conditional offers based on them achieving a certain score in one of the recognised English language exams before they can start their studies.
  • You can apply for a study place well in advance of the actual start date of the course. For example, if you want to start your studies in the next academic year (September 2024 or January 2025) you can submit your application now, about a year in advance.

Due to the high number of applications UK educational institutions receive from international students we advise you to submit your application as early as possible.

When are the application deadlines?

United Kingdom and Ireland

Most courses start in September each year, but some courses have a second intake in January. There are generally no application deadline in the UK or Ireland for foundation, pre-masters, graduate diploma and postgraduate courses, although you need to allow sufficient time for your applications and study visas to be processed.

For undergraduate courses, it’s a little different. Students applying for undergraduate courses in the UK have to apply through a central UK admissions process called UCAS. UCAS operates a strict application deadline which usually closes a couple of months before the start of the course. Please contact us should you wish to apply for an undergraduate course – we have direct access to the UCAS application portal.

UG students applying to Trinity College Dublin will need to apply either before the 1st of February or 30th of June, depending on your course. Please check with Inova Education.


Most courses start in September each year although there are some that have a second intake in January as well. Dutch universities apply a strict application deadline, usually around May each year with scholarship deadlines several months before that.

Please bear in mind that places can fill rather quickly, depending on the popularity of the course you apply for. You also need to give yourself enough time to make all necessary arrangements in preparation for your studies overseas. Therefore we advise you to start the application procedure as soon as possible, ideally about 6 – 8 months in advance of your study start date in order to avoid disappointment.

What is the advantage of enrolling for my study programme through Inova Education?

You can apply and enrol on a course independently from anyone but you may find that applying for study overseas is not always as straightforward as it sounds and there are many stages to the process.

There are many study options available in the UK and Netherlands and if you apply through Inova Education you will receive useful help, guidance and advice in finding the course that best suits your personal needs and financial requirements.

After identifying a suitable programme we will guide you through the entire process, from the initial application and getting all your documents together, all the way through helping you make your visa and travel arrangements.

Have a look here for a full overview of how we help Latin American students.

Inova Education has more than 25 years of experience in helping international students and with our help and guidace you will stay in full control of all the steps involved in the process. Our staff will offer you a highly personalised service and we will assign you a dedicated contact to guide you through the process.

Enrolling through Inova Education means that you are entitled to a whole range of personalised services, entirely free of charge, prior to and after arrival in the UK or Netherlands. Help is provided from our teams based in Latin American and the United Kingdom. We have a very international team, many of whom have been international students themselves who have lived, studied and worked in the UK and other European countries and therefore they know through personal experience what is involved in coming to study overseas.

Please note that all the institutions we represent have formally appointed Inova Education as their representative in Latin America.

How do I find out more about your study programmes?

If you have specific queries about any of the universities we represent, their courses, or the services we offer, please get in touch to arrange a chat with one of our staff in Mexico. Our full contact details can be found here.

If you live elsewhere in Latin America you can book a personal counselling session with one of our expert advisers by phone, Skype of WhatsApp online.

Does the UK or Netherlands offer financial support to international students?

There are various ways to fund your studies. From scholarships and loans to private funding, we’ll make sure you are provided information that may help you finance your studies.

University scholarships

Most universities will offer some type of (partial) scholarships to international students, some are automatic ones, others will be competitive. Scholarships tend to change every year so it is best to check with us if there are any scholarships available for the programme you are interested in. Often you will find that scholarships in the UK are partial scholarships or bursaries, ranging from a few hundred to several thousand pounds and there are some universities that may offer higher scholarships. It is important to note that courses in the UK are usually shorter compared to similar careers across Latin America or the United States so the overall tuition fee in the UK may work out cheaper. Please note that in order to apply for a scholarships you first need to apply and secure a firm study place from a university.


The UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office runs the annual British Chevening Programme. The Chevening Programme offers scholarships to allow bright, non-British, students to study at UK higher education institutions. Inova Education applicants will receive information about Chevening and you may be invited to some presentations.

Chevening website

Study Loans

As an international student it is not possible to secure study loans from banks in the UK or  Netherlands when you are a foreign national who does not work or live in those countries. Therefore study loans can only be secured from a study loan organisation in your home country.

Mexican students, especially those studying at Postgraduate level, may find there are various opportunities available for scholarships or study loans (creditos) through organisations such as CONACyT, FIDERH or FUNED (Mexico), Programa de 100 Becas de estudio para la Soberanía Científica y Tecnólogica (Bolivia) or Don Carlos Antonio Lopez (Paraguay). If you’d like to receive some more information about these scholarship and student loan schemes available please contact us.

Other national scholarship or study loan organisations

Latin American students, especially those studying at Postgraduate level, may find there are various opportunities available for scholarships or study loans (creditos) through a wide range of organisation. Here is an overview of some well-established programmes that may be of interest to you. Also mentioned are the current application rounds and deadlines.

Bolivia Programa de 100 Becas de estudio para la Soberanía Científica y Tecnólogica
Brazil CAPES
Colombia Banco de la RepúblicaColcienciasColfuturo or ICETEX
Costa Rica CONAPE
Honduras Hondufuturo or Becas Honduras
Peru PRONABEC or SERVIR Reto Excelencia
Mexico CONACyTBecas MOB, EducafinFIDERH or FUNED
Paraguay BECAL
Uruguay ANII

If you wanted to have a chat about some of these options please contact us.

What level of English do I need to apply?

To study in the UK, Ireland and the Netherlands you need to be able to read, write and speak English very well. You’ll need to prove your competency by taking a recognised and approved English language test such as the Cambridge Advanced, Cambridge Proficiency, IELTS Academic, TOEFL iBT or Pearson PTE*.

  • What English test scores are required by universities?

The level of English required depends on the university where you will be studying and the level and difficulty of the programme you apply for. For instance, an English Literature programme may require a higher score than a Fine Art programme. Most universities ask for a 6.5 in the IELTS Academic exam overall and may have specific requirements in each component of the IELTS test depending on the programme.

  • What English test scores are required by Pathway/Foundation colleges?

Students that have to study a Foundation, Pre-Masters or Graduate Diploma course are often required to obtain an IELTS score (or equivalent) of at least 4.5 or 5.0
This will often secure students a place on a 3-term foundation programme. A higher IELTS score (5.0 or 5.5) would mean that students can start on a shorter, fast-track, 2-term foundation programme.

  • How long is my English language exam certificate valid for?

The IELTS Academic and TOEFL iBT are valid for 2 years. As long as your certificate is still valid on the date you apply for your visa you can use that certificate for your UK Study visa application.

If you have an offer from a university but your English language certificate has expired before you apply for your visa you have to re-take a recognised English language exam before you apply for your visa.

  • Where can I take the various English language tests?

Tests are offered across LATAM on a regular basis.

  • IELTS test centres and test dates

To find out more about IELTS Academic or IELTS for UKVI test centres and test dates in your country please click here.

An IELTS Academic exam will cost anywhere between USD215-310 depending on the location and the IELTS Academic for UKVI will cost around USD280-300**.

  • TOEFL iBT test centres and test dates

To find out more about the TOEFL iBT test centres and test dates in your country please click here.

For more information about Secure English Language Tests accepted by the UKVI please click here.

*Pearson PTE Academic is not accepted by all universities.
**Prices correct Aug 2023

I haven’t got my final results yet. Can I still apply?

You can apply for a study place even if you’re still awaiting your final exam results or still have to take an English language exam. Universities in the UK, Ireland and the Netherlands can make conditional offers, allowing you to secure a place while you work towards meeting the entry requirements.

How much will it cost to study?

Tuition fees for undergraduate or postgraduate courses vary and can be anything from £11,000 to £24,000 (USD 14,700 – 32,200*), not including potential discounts and scholarships. You’ll also need around £9,000 to £11,500 each year to cover your living costs, depending on where you live.

To get a study visa, you’ll need to be able to prove you have sufficient funds to pay your tuition fees and support yourself in your first year of studies. We will help you look for any scholarships, bursaries and loans you may be eligible for.

Aside from the tuition fees, the immigration rules state that the funds you need to be able to demonstrate you have available are:

  • £1,334 per month for study in London
  • £1,023 per month for study outside London
  • €850 per month for study in the Netherlands. Please note that the actual cost of living in the Netherlands is between €850-€1,200 per month.

The maximum amount of money you must have is the relevant sum multiplied by nine months.

* January 2022 exchange rates

Can you help me with translations of my documents?

Yes we can.

It is important that your translations meet the university application requirements as well as future visa application requirements. Unfortunately in our experience a lot of students apply with translations that cannot be used for visa purposes, wasting money in the process as you will have to translate documents twice. We want to avoid this inconvenience and that’s why Inova Education has, for many years, partnered with Seven Seas Translations and our students benefit from their prompt, professional and certified, UKVI compliant translation work.

Our students benefit from:

  • A high quality professional and personalised service from expert Spanish to English translators
  • University and UKVI visa and immigration regulation compliant translations, so you won’t have to do them twice
  • Special reduced prices for all Inova Education students
  • A very quick turnaround.
  • You will receive your translations electronically as a high-resolution PDF. If required, hard copies can be couriered anywhere in Latin America (against an additional fee)

If you’d like to receive a competitive quote please do so online here.

Before submitting a translations request to our partner please ensure that your Inova Education advisor has confirmed confirmed your Spanish language documents meet the university admission and visa requirements to avoid you wasting money on translations which cannot be used.

Do I need a visa to study in the UK or Netherlands?

Non-EU passport holders that want to study a pre-university, undergraduate or postgraduate degree will be required to apply for a study visa both in the UK and Netherlands.

United Kingdom
Not until a student has received a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from their UK host university can they apply for a visa. The CAS will not be issued until you have secured an unconditional offer from an educational institution recognised by the UK Visas and Immigration office (UKVI.) In addition students will need evidence they have secured funds to study and live in the UK. Students also need evidence they have met the minimum English language requirements set by the UKVI and university.

The cost of applying for a UK study visa is £490 (or approximately $590*), which is a standard fee set by the British Government and payable to the UKVI.

The Netherlands
The rules for Netherlands-bound students are more or less the same as those applying to the UK. Students will need evidence they meet the academic and English language requirement set by the IND (Immigratie-en Naturalisatiedienst) and need evidence they have secured funds to cover all their tuition fee and living expenses. Key difference is that you may be required to pay your fees in full upfront and in some cases even transfer your living expenses upfront to the university before the visa process starts. Another difference is that the Dutch university applies for your study visa on your behalf.

The cost of applying for a Dutch study visa is EUR210 (or approximately $220*), which is a standard fee set by the Dutch Government and payable to the IND.

Inova Education will verify if you need a visa, what type of visa and, in most cases, will provide a free service to guide you through every step of the visa application process.

To receive more information about the visa application process, or to request our help with your application, please get in touch. Students that apply for a UK or Dutch university with Inova Education’s help will receive free visa guidance and application support as part of our overall package of services we offer our applicants.

Student Route specifics

  • You can apply for your Student Route visa up to 6 months before the start of your course. For those applying for visa renewals from within the UK it is 3 months.
  • If you have been studying in the UK on a Student Route visa all international students are eligible to apply for a further work visa under the Graduate Route. You can apply for this visa from within the UK. Students that successfully complete an undergraduate Bachelor’s or Master’s course can apply for a 2 year extension and those that have completed their PhD studies successfully can apply for a 3 year extension.
  • If you are a PhD student (and only PhD students) can bring dependants and they can also apply for the Graduate Route visa. If this applies to you, and you apply for your Graduate Route visa, you will not be required to demonstrate ability to financially support yourself.
  • For more information about the Graduate Route please see the Can I work in the UK after graduation (Graduate Route) section.
  • Students at degree level, or above, will no longer be required to submit academic qualification documents when applying for a visa. This assessment is done beforehand by the university sponsor.

* Prices correct as of October 2023.

Student Route visa and Graduate Route visa

The Student Route visa is the name given to the visa international students have to apply for.

The Graduate Immigration Route is the name of a programme that offers all international students the opportunity to apply for a 2 or 3 year work visa.

For more information please see our FAQ ‘Can I work in the UK after graduation?

Differential Evidence arrangements

Students from Brazil, Chile, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Peru, as well as those (dual) nationals applying under their EU, EEA, Swiss, Canadian or United States passport, benefit from a simplified student visa application process as they are allowed to submit fewer documents with their visa application.

The differentiation arrangements apply for PBS Student Route and PBS Child Student Route visa applications.

Students that qualify under the Differential Evidence arrangements will still have to meet the immigration documentary requirements, like any other visa applicant, but they do not have to submit the following documents with their visa application:

  • Documents showing your previous academic qualifications, such as diplomas or transcripts of results
  • Documents showing you meet the finance/maintenance requirements incl evidence of relationship to a parent or legal guardian providing financial sponsorship
  • English language test certificates or documents
  • Evidence of academic progression (successful completion of a previous course in the UK, on a Tier 4 visa)

Students will have to apply for entry clearance from the country where they are living (country of residence) and ensure they apply with their main nationality being from one of the above mentioned countries.

Dependant family members will also benefit from the scheme provided they apply for their visa at the same time as the main applicant, apply for entry clearance in their country of nationality and hold the same nationality as the main applicant.

What is ATAS and do I need it?

The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) is a requirement for non UK or EU students that apply for postgraduate study in certain subjects. Students that require ATAS clearance will usually be notified about this on the offer letter that they receive from the university they applied to. However, if students are not sure if their course requires ATAS clearance they should check directly with the university they’ve applied to.

  • Students need to apply for an ATAS certificate, and obtain ATAS clearance, BEFORE they apply for a study visa. Without ATAS clearance your visa application will not be successful.
  • Students can start the ATAS application with either a conditional or unconditional offer.
  • If students hold more than one offer for a programme that requires ATAS clearance they need to apply for separate ATAS clearance certificates for each university and programme of study.
  • Obtaining an ATAS clearance certificate does not guarantee students a visa or extension of stay.
  • Students can apply for an ATAS certificate up to 6 months in advance of the beginning of their course.
  • Applying for an ATAS certificate can be done online and the application is free.
  • The FCO aims to process all ATAS applications within 20 working days although this time may increase during busy periods.

For more information on ATAS please visit the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.

Can my family or partner join me?

You can only bring your dependants to the UK if you are studying one of the following postgraduate research-level courses:

  • A PhD course;
  • A doctoral qualification; or
  • A research-based higher degree

Therefore students studying an Undergraduate course or Postgraduate Master’s are not allowed to bring their dependants to the UK.

Students that fall into one of the above research categories, and that are allowed to bring their dependants, need to apply for a visa for each of their dependants. You have to be able to demonstrate that you can financially support your dependants.

If you intend to bring your dependants you need to speak to us as you need to prepare for their visa applications well in advance.

How do I find somewhere to live?

Student accommodation ranges from university owned halls of residence, which may have restaurants, to self-catered private sector halls of residence and private apartments and student houses.

Most of the UK universities we work with guarantee international students a room provided they apply by a strict deadline.

Students that don’t want to live in accommodation provided by the university will have to look for a student room in a private sector student halls of residence or students houses. There are many private student accommodation agencies located in or around campus all over the UK who will help you look for a room that meets your requirements and budgets. Most universities themselves have accommodation offices on campus helping students look for rooms in the private sector.

Note that in the Netherlands most universities have a very limited number of rooms available to international students and you have to apply by very very early deadlines.

Inova Education staff will advise you on what options are available when you book a course through us and how to apply for student accommodation.

Medical Care whilst studying in the UK

All students, and their family members, applying for a PBS Student Route Visa, are required to make a contribution to the UK’s National Health Service. This payment is called the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) and will ensure you have full access to medical care during your stay in the UK.

This means that there is no need to take out additional private medical insurance, other than travel and medical insurance covering your trip to and from the UK or trips outside the UK.

The Immigration Health Surcharge is £1,035 per year or half if your application includes part of a year that is less than 6 months.

You pay the IHS charge at the same time you apply for your study visa.

If you are on a course of less than 6 months you do not pay the IHS but instead have to take out private medical insurance. Students that come to the UK to study on a governmental Chevening scholarship also don’t have to pay the IHS charge.

Tuberculosis test requirements for students

Students from certain countries need to have a tuberculosis (TB) test if they are coming to study in the UK for more than 6 months. If you take the TB test you will be receiving a certificate that is valid for 6 months. You need to be tested at a Home Office approved clinic. The certificate needs to be submitted with your visa application and cannot be more than 6 months old by the time you submit your visa application.

Residents from the following Central and South American countries need a TB certificate.

Suriname (get tested in Guyana)

For more info please visit the Tuberculosis Tests for Visa Applicants page on the Home Office website.

Can I work during my studies?

As long as your course lasts for longer than six months and is an undergraduate or postgraduate course, you are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during vacations.

Students that undertake foundation level courses are not allowed to work during their initial course with the exception of those students studying at so called ‘integrated colleges.’ Students that undertake courses that last less than 6 months are not entitled to work during their studies.

Most universities recommend working for no more than 12 hours a week.

Whatever your plans, make sure you’re never depending on employment to pay for your studies. To get a study visa and gain entry clearance to the UK you must be able to prove you have sufficient funds to pay your tuition fees and living expenses for at least the first year of your studies.

When considering the option of looking for employment during your studies you have to bear in mind that your main aim is to study and complete your course successfully. We know from experience that many international students often do not have enough time to work next to their studies as courses in the UK are shorter in duration and thus can be more intensive. Most universities recommend that students do not work for more than 12 hours per week as otherwise your studies will suffer.

In accordance with European employment law employers have to pay you a minimum wage depending on your age.

You do not require official permission to work up to the permitted hours, provided you are not engaging in business, self employment or the provision of services as a sports person or entertainer. You can also undertake work placements which are part of your course or undertake internship placements with an employer whilst studying in the UK.

Whatever your plans, please ensure that you never depend on income received through work to pay for your studies. In order to obtain a study visa and gain entry clearance to the UK you must be able to prove you have sufficient funds to pay your tuition fees and living expenses for at least the first year of your studies.

Can I work in the UK after graduation? (Graduate Route)

Yes, all international students will be able to stay in the UK to work, or look for work, provided they successfully graduate and apply for the Graduate Route visa

The Graduate (Immigration) Route is a work-visa that allows Undergraduate and Master’s degree students to stay for an additional two years, whilst PhD students will be able to stay for a further three years. PhD Students whose dependants are already with them in the UK will also be allowed to stay as well and apply for further leave at the same time as the student.

The Graduate Immigration Route will be open to all international students:

  • who currently have a valid Student Route visa, and
  • whose current visa expires after 01 July 2021, and
  • who have successfully completed a UK degree at undergraduate Bachelor’s, postgraduate Master’s or postgraduate PhD (Doctorate) level in its entirety. The start date of your course is not relevant as long as you have obtained your qualification during your current Student permission and the qualification is the same one for which your CAS was issued, and
  • who have fully studied their course in the UK. If a course is less than 12 months the full course must have been fully studied in the UK. If the course is longer than at least 12 months must have been studied in the UK *, and
  • have a qualification that has been awarded by a HE provider listed as a Student Sponsor with a track record.


  • You can only apply for the Graduate Route online whilst you are physically in the UK. You cannot apply for the Graduate Route from overseas.
  • Like any other visa, you will have to pay the relevant visa application fee and pay your standard Immigration Health Surcharge to provide medical care whilst you’re in the UK. The IHS is currently set at £624 per year. If you pay the IHS you do not require further private medical insurance.
  • There is no need to provide evidence of funds available showing you meet the maintenance requirements. You also do not have to submit an English language or other educational certificate, as these requirements will be met by successfully completing a degree at a UK university.
  • If you have a government scholarship (either the UK or your home government) you need the sponsoring body’s  permission to apply for the Graduate Route.
  • Student can, following completion of their Graduate Route visa, apply to switch into further Skilled Worker routes provided they meet the requirements of these routes.
  • You cannot study whilst you have a Graduate Route (work) visa as it is a work visa. The exception to this is if you engage in online, recreational, evening study, or study at a college or university that is not on the Sponsor Register.
  • After you’ve completed your Graduate Route you can switch back to a Student Route visa for further higher level study (provided it is at a higher level)

Can my dependants apply for the Graduate Route?

PhD students are the only students that can bring dependants. Provided your dependants have a dependant’s visa, and they are already in the UK with you as a dependant, and provided they also apply from within the UK, they are also eligible for a Graduate Route visa.

What is the weather like in the UK?

The UK has a moderate climate with an average summer temperature of around 16 degrees Celsius and average winter temperature of around 3-6 degrees Celsius. Winters in the UK and Western Europe are relatively mild with temperatures rarely dropping below zero degrees Celsius during the day.

However, for students coming from warmer countries, the climate in the UK is something you will have to get used to, especially during the winter when it can get very cold. In return for any hardship endured during winter, you will however enjoy the mild spring and summer period in the UK with the additional benefit of long daylight hours.

With thanks to the UK Council for International Student Affairs for providing us with the latest immigration updates and information.

Recomiendo altamente a Inova para cualquier persona que esté pensando en estudiar en Reino Unido.

E. Trujillo NunezStudied MSc Banking & Financial Services

Search for a course


Check out our events

Book your place

Start your application